About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Lap Robes for Veterans

While at the Genesee Valley Quilt Fest in June, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with Nancy Van Apledoorn, founder and coordinator of Lap Robes for Veterans.  Nancy's ultimate goal is to see that every veteran receives a lap robe, but for now she has all that she can do to see that veterans in nursing homes, hospice care, and those traveling on Honor Flights in her area receives a lap robe.  In 2014 Nancy and a group of 30 volunteers donated over 800 lap robes (quilts, fleece, knit and crocheted blankets) to veterans in the Rochester area.  Pretty impressive for such a small group, but if the goal is going to be met, they are going to need help!  Being the daughter of a WWII Army veteran, wife of a Navy veteran, and a USMC mom, I was more than willing to offer my services.  I met with Nancy a few weeks ago and picked up 20 kits to quilt.  I hope to have them all done and ready to be given to veterans taking the Honor Flight out of Rochester, NY in October.  My machine is going to be going full steam from now until then!

To learn more about Lap Robes for Veterans or to find out how to start a similar project in your area check out their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/LapRobesForVeterans.

2 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

What a wonderful project. Thanks for sharing.

Needled Mom said...

That is such a great project.

Blog Archive