About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Monday, June 1, 2015

Rhubarb Strawberry Freezer Jam


Normally when rhubarb comes into season I have to have a rhubarb dump cake, but because I've been counting calories I thought it would be best to figure out another way to put our rhubarb to use.  I came up with the idea to try making jam instead.  Yes, it still has a lot of sugar, but at least I'm not going to sit down and eat a whole batch of jam by myself.  Maybe.  This stuff is good! 

Rhubarb Strawberry Freezer Jam

5 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
3 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O
 
Directions
In a large saucepan, stir together the rhubarb and sugar. Cover, and let stand 3-8 hours (long enough to bring out the juices so they start to dissolve the sugar).  Bring the rhubarb and sugar to a boil over medium heat. Boil, stirring constantly, for 12 minutes on low heat. Remove from heat, and stir in dry gelatin mix. Transfer to jars, cool, and place in the freezer.

4 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Interesting to use jello instead of fruit pectin . . . sounds yummy.

Needled Mom said...

It looks delicious. I love toast and fresh jam.

Sewing Sue said...

I was looking for a recipe like this, thanks! Serendipity... :-)

Barb said...

I don't think I have ever had that before....looks delicious

Blog Archive