About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

One-Hour French Bread

I have relied on my bread machine for mixing bread dough for the last 15 years, but sadly a couple of weeks ago my dearly loved bread machine mixed its last batch of dough.  I thought about looking for a replacement, but instead I did a search for a fast easy yeast bread recipe and this recipe for One-Hour French Bread showed up time and time again, so I gave it a try.  I am hooked!  This recipe makes a fantastic loaf of bread in one hour start to finish...faster and better than any bread machine!  I think my bread machine days are over and that I will just enjoy the extra counter space in my kitchen! 

One-Hour French Bread

1½ cups warm water
1 tablespoon honey
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ tablespoons Active Dry Yeast
3 - 4 cups flour (any combination of white and whole wheat)

Preheat oven 450ยบ. Combine water, salt, honey, and yeast in a medium bowl. Let sit 5 - 10 minutes, until bubbling. Add flour, stirring with a wooden spoon, until dough is no longer sticky (I'll sometimes dump the dough out onto the cutting board with what flour is in the bowl and roll it around,adding a bit more flour, until it's not sticky). Roll dough into a 12 - 14" roll (or you can divide it in half and roll it into two long skinny baguettes). Place dough roll(s) on a cookie sheet (this won't work in a bread pan), greased or sprayed with non-stick spray, cover, and let sit 20 minutes. Make diagonal slits, 1/2" deep, on top with a razor blade. (Optional: spray with salt water). Bake 20 minutes.

10 comments:

Terry said...

This recipe sounds great! I can't wait to try it! Thanks! :0)

Cathy said...

Oh that sounds soooo good. I have not made bread in years. I am trying to not eat bread, but that recipe makes it very hard. I would definately leave out the last step of spaying with salt water. But, I will be trying that recipe.

thanks

Janet said...

Wow that is fast, due to the amount of yeast no doubt. If it tastes great and it's little effort, it's a winner.

Jean(ie) said...

There is nothing better than fresh bread from the oven, all warm with melted butter.

Needled Mom said...

It sounds wonderful AND easy too.

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

Thank you for posting. I love no-knead bread but this one looks very interesting. I'll give it a try.

Mary L. said...

Looks good. Have never understood the need for bread machines when baking bread is so easy.

Barb said...

Oh my goodness....that looks sooo yummy...bread is a weakness of mine.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

I have made this bread twice--it was delicious both times! I turn the oven down to 350- 375 after abut 8 minutes, because my electric oven runs really hot! I haven't used a thermometer, but it burns things up if I'm not diligent! My husband and grandkids love this bread--it's so simple and easy and quite tasty. I will try using garlicky butter on it next time!

HerbalMama said...

I made this tonight with dinner as a last minute effort to have fresh bread. I honestly thought it might not turn out so well being that was so easy and fast! I got the best compliments at dinner from guests and family! We ate the entire loaf. My five year old has requested that any future bread made be this one! I'm so excited to make this quick, easy and delicious homemade bread all the time! Thank you for sharing!!

Blog Archive