About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

More On Thread

The comments concerning yesterday's thread post confirmed just as I suspected, we all have definite opinions about the thread that we use! There are several things that we all agree on....we don't want to pay a small fortune for good quality thread, we like a large color selection and we don't like threads that leave a lot of lint! Superior, Glide by Fil-Tec, Guetermann, Aurifil, and Mettler threads were all mentioned as favorites and several people mentioned that they find thread with all of the qualities that we are searching for at Connecting Threads. All in all, it still comes down to finding the thread that works best for you and your machine and trial and error is the only way to do that, so "a thread shopping we will go"!

5 comments:

antique quilter said...

I agree thread choice is a preference
I used to love mettler for hand applique now I LOVE DMC, I used to love using gutternman for hand quilting and now I am ready to try something else.
I want it to be all cotton and I don't mind if I have to pull the thread thru the beeswax, but I do want color selection...
thanks for a post that made me think about threads again...and yes I don't mind buying new ones to try when they have come highly recommended.
Kathie

ktquilts said...

Thanks for the listings in your post! As I am using up my thread stash, I am out of my most used colors. I am going to start cheap and work my way up until I find MY thread.
Thanks again,
KT

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Great question Susan and enjoyed reading all of the comments. I have no answer - am still experimenting.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Instead of spending a ton of money trying different threads....why not write / e-mail each company that you think you would like to try their thread and ask for a free sample.

Smiles,
Kelly

Mary Johnson said...

I like the thread from Connecting Threads for piecing -- I've been using it for a while now and it works well and is reasonably priced.

Blog Archive