About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Friday, January 15, 2010

French Breakfast Puffs

I finally broke down and watched Julie & Julia last night and this morning I woke up with the incredible urge to bake something French and then blog about it! I'm not sure how "French" this recipe is, but let me tell you these part muffin, part cupcake, breakfast puffs go great with a cup of tea first thing in the morning!

French Breakfast Puffs

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk

Topping

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin cups or line cups with paper muffin liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, cream together 1/2 cup sugar and shortening. Beat in egg. Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture alternately with milk. Beat well. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. While muffins are baking, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Remove muffins from oven and muffin pan. Immediately, dip the tops of the muffins into the melted butter, then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Repeat with each muffin, until all muffin tops are covered. Serve warm.

10 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ohhh, those sound yummy. Would you mind sending a few over? LOL

Meadows08 said...

I'm going to bake these for my kids today. I know they'll love them!

Marie Rayner said...

Who cares if they are French or not! They look delish and that's all that counts! xxoo

Anonymous said...

I bet they smell gorgeous cooking.

Dena said...

It's a good think I've already eaten breakfast. Otherwise I might be tempted to rush into the kitchen and whip up a batch of these 'French Breakfast Puffs.' LOL

free indeed said...

I've made these before and they are exactly as you describe them! Yummy! Sort of a donut, but disguised as a muffin? :)

Terry said...

These sound yummy! I'm going to try them tomorrow! :0)

Kathy P said...

My daughter gave me the book and DVD for Christmas this year. I decided to read the book first, then watch the movie. The book was so-so, but I hope to watch the movie soon and I'm sure I'll like that better. In the meantime, I'll try your recipe! Thanks!

PatchworkRose said...

Don't know about breakfast but they would make a gorgeous dessert with icecream :-)
Cheers
Lynne

Anonymous said...

I think this is on my list of things to do this week! How yummy!

Blog Archive