About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bed Runners Explained

(Photo from Flicker by tenth48)
The first time I saw a bed runner was during a stay at a motel not long ago. They are mainly used for decorative purposes, but I suspect that they also protect the foot of the bed and the small size makes them easier to wash than large bedpreads. The dimensions are typically 24" wide and the length is 25"-30" longer than the width of the mattress, so that there is a 12"-15" drop on each side of the bed. I honestly have not seen a lot of these runners in the quilt world, but when my daughter-in-law told me that she had purchased a solid chocolate brown quilt for their new bedroom, I suggested that I make a runner for the foot of the bed to help brighten it up a bit and she loved the idea. I also loved the idea...making a runner is a lot easier than making a full sized quilt!

See a photo of the finished bed runner that I made for my son and daughter-in-law HERE.

14 comments:

Lori said...

I had a hunch that was what it was. Great idea to brighten up a solid bedspread..and easier for you!

Rene' said...

Ditto re what Lori said. Thanks for the explanation.

Needled Mom said...

I love seeing them on the hotel beds. They really brighten up the decor in the rooms.

Anonymous said...

i think they are a lovely idea

Barb said...

Wonderful idea!!

Karen said...

There are some quilt designers, Lynda Mulligan and Nancy Smith that have 2 books out with Topppers that you put on the top of the bed over the pillows or on the back of the couch. They cover the pillows when the quilt doesn't. Also can change it with the seasons, holidays etc. Link to Amazon to see their 1st book.

http://www.amazon.com/Toppers-Nancy-Smith-Lynda-Milligan/dp/1880972352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263418264&sr=1-1

Betsy said...

I too have seen them. you can also make them with themes if you are into that.

Jackie's Stitches said...

It makes perfect sense! Thank you for the explanation. It would be an inexpensive way to change the look of a room besides having a practical purpose.

Melissa ;-) said...

You know there are all sorts of illmannered folks who put their feet up on the hotel bed with their shoes still on. Bet they'd never do that at home! I was just thinking about these the other day and wondering if there was any way I could convince my dogs to sleep on a bed runner instead of the pillows!

julia said...

how pretty they make the beds look!

Kathy said...

Susan,

I have a book coming out February 10th - "Bed Runners" - using the fun and popular pre-cuts in the marketplace today. From fat quarters to jelly rolls to charm squares and turnovers - there's no end to the bed runners that you can make! Look for it in your local quilt shop soon!

Kathy Brown
The Teacher's Pet
http://www.the-teachers-pet.com

fabriKate said...

I love the idea of bed runners! They would help keep my feet warm, as well as looking great.

Anonymous said...

great idea; never knew what they were called,how it changes the original-look, great idea!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the blog it has helped me in deciding the finished drop on the Peacock Blue silk runner with glass beads to the edge for a client. Great Idea.
x Julia
www.juliafinishingtouches.co.uk

Blog Archive