About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mama and grandmama getting through life by hanging on to a needle and thread.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Rescue Quilt

This is a hand pieced, hand quilted antique quilt that I found in a thrift store a couple of years ago. I could tell right away that it was very worn, stained and faded, but to me that means that it was loved. What a sad end for a quilt with so much history...to be left hanging in a thrift store. It looked like a treasure when I first saw it hanging on the rack, but once I unfolded it I discovered that someone had cut into it to make some sort of craft project! Suffice it to say, it broke my heart to see that quilt all cut to pieces and hanging in shreds. I put it back on the rack and walked away, but as I walked through the store the quilt kept calling me and I knew that I would have to take it home with me even though it was so severely damaged. Once I got it home, I carefully trimmed the quilt even and replaced the binding. It's not the quilt that it once was and it's certainly not a show piece, but I'd like to think that whoever made it so long ago would be happy if she knew her work is respected and the quilt she made is still loved.

11 comments:

Jean said...

Great story....I am glad you rescued it.

Anonymous said...

Well done Susan. It's thanks to people like you that something survives of textile history.

Jocelyn said...

What a very sweet thing to do. So glad that you were able to restore part of the quilt. It's very sad how these old quilts are being treated, because we as quilters know, that someone, somewhere would love to have one of those treasures.

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a wonderful thing you did! I know the original quilter is sending you a smile and a hug.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

What a shame to see a quilt in that shape. We spend so much time on them, especially if you hand piece and hand quilt. We expect them to last for years, now this one has new life. I am glad that you rescued it.

Barb said...

This makes me feel good reading your blog entry...a rescued quilt that is sweet! At estate sales when quilts are not in *mint* condition, the auctioneer often refers to them as "cutter quilts" and it saddens me to think that someone has worked so hard on a quilt that is going to be made into pieces again, just like the one that you rescued. Good for you, I am pleased that the quilt will have a new life! Sometimes a bit of TLC will give the quilt new life and allow for it to continue to be a quilt or even a wallhanging!

Diana said...

Good for you! No one but a quilter would know the long hours of labor a hand piecer and hand quilter goes through to make a quilt, even a "utility" quilt. That quilter is probably smiling somewhere.

Angie said...

I love old quilts too...I've rescued a few. Yours is very soft and pretty. Glad you went back. Would it be wonderful to know the whole story as to why they end up like they do?

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I'm glad you bought it; money well spent! I have an old top that I need to repair and hand quilt; you're inspiring me to do that.

Libby said...

Oh it's just wonderful that you've given that quilt a whole new life. I'm always sad when I see photographs and quilts for sale in thrift shops.

Dena said...

Such a sad story with a happy ending. Good for you!

Blog Archive